While playing around with Windows Vista’s screensavers, I discovered that my beloved “My Pictures Slideshow” did not exist. I used it all the time in Windows XP! So, being the geek that I am, I figured out how to import it into Vista. Here’s how I did it…
1. In Windows XP, in the Start Menu, click “Search”. (if you don’t have Search, right-click the Start button and choose “properties”, then “customize”. On the “Advanced” tab, put a checkbox next to “Search”, then click “ok” twice.)
2. Click “All Files and Folders”
3. Type “*.scr” (without the quotes), remember to include the asterick (“*”) and the period, and press enter on your keyboard.
4. There will be one called “ssmypics.scr”. Select the file, right-click and choose “copy”, then right-click and choose “paste” on the desktop.
4a. You can also download it directly from my website here
5. You can now burn the file to CD, copy and paste it onto a thumbdrive, or into a shared network folder.
6. Access the file in Windows Vista, then copy and paste it into the “C:\Windows\System32\” directory.
7. Right click the desktop, choose “personlize”, then “screen saver”, and the new screensaver should now appear along with the rest.