I was asked today by a friend how to backup and restore Outlook 2007 data, such as personal folders, rules, alerts, and other account information (also known as Identities). I’ve never been able to figure out how to backup the Identities, but here are the details on how to backup everything else.
In Outlook 2007, you can export your PST files (personal file folders)…
1. Click on “File”, then on “data file management”
2. click “open folder”, then copy/paste the contents to your backup location.
You can also use this method,
1. Click on “File”, then “Import and Export”
2. Click “export to a file”, then click “personal file folder”
3. highlight “personal file folders”, and check “include subfolders”
4. tell it where to save the PST file, then click finish, and let it do it’s thing.
To export/import your Rules and Alerts…
1. Click on the “Tools” menu, then “Rules and Alerts”
2. Click “Options”, then “import” or “export”, and tell it where to save the file.
For the Identities, I’m not sure where that information is located, I’ve never had much luck in researching that. If I find out, I’ll be sure to post it here.
There is a tool that do all of this automatically, though it doesn’t always work. It is called “Amic Email Backup“.